Tips for Good Oral Hygiene
Good oral hygiene results in a mouth that looks and smells healthy. Teeth are clean and free of debris, gums are pink and do not hurt or bleed when brushed or flossed, and bad breath is not a constant problem in a healthy mouth.
If your gums do hurt or bleed while brushing or flossing, or you are experiencing persistent bad breath, see your dentist. Any of these conditions may indicate a problem. At Euclid Smiles, we can help you learn good oral hygiene techniques. We can also help point out areas of your mouth that may require extra attention during brushing and flossing.
The American Dental Association (ADA) recommends the following for good oral hygiene:
- Brush your teeth twice a day with an ADA-accepted fluoride toothpaste.
- Replace your toothbrush every three or four months, or sooner if the bristles are frayed.
- Clean between teeth daily with floss or an interdental cleaner.
- Eat a balanced diet and limit between-meal snacks.
- Visit your dentist regularly for professional cleanings and oral exams.
Antimicrobial mouth rinses and toothpastes reduce the bacterial count and inhibit bacterial activity in dental plaque, which can cause gingivitis, an early, reversible form of periodontal (gum) disease.
Call us today to know more about what types of oral care products will be most effective for you. Regular dental examination and a few preventive steps can help you keep your teeth healthy for life
Click here to see an ADA video on proper brushing techniques.